Broken capillaries are commonly found on the cheeks and nose. They appear as small red threads just under the skin’s surface as a result of rosacea, sun exposure, frequent nose blowing, nasal fractures or cosmetic surgery to the nose. Broken capillaries occur when the capillary walls narrow and widen too quickly causing the muscles in the walls to tear. This in turn allows the blood to seep out resulting in formation of broken capillaries.
Dehydrated, dry and sensitive skin types often have thin skin that provides less protection and therefore, these skin types are the most commonly effected.
Common causes of broken capillaries are:
- Hot conditions like saunas, Jacuzzis, and other environmental sources of heat
- Wind blowing on the face
- Sunburns and chronic sun exposure
- Moving from one extreme temperature to another
- Pressure i.e. squeezing pimples or glasses pressing on the face
- Trauma or surgery to the nose
- Inherited conditions like Rosacea
Broken capillaries can be prevented by avoiding all of the above. Once formed they can be treated with lasers specifically designed to target blood vessel growths in the skin.
Contact Dr. Heather Roberts for further information about our Vbeam pulsed dye laser .